Hi, I’m Sarah, a Bostonian turned Richmonder. I started sewing in 2010 when I simply wanted to save money on roman shades (window treatments are stupidly expensive). I started sewing clothing in 2012. Now, thanks to some wonderful sewing classes and inspiration from bloggers around the globe, my once casual hobby has spiraled into a goal to someday never buy ready-to-wear clothing again.
I struggle with blogging – finding the time to photograph my makes and then write about them is just not a top priority for me. You can follow me on Instagram, @sarahycurtis, for quick pics of more of my projects.
Upcoming classes I’m teaching:
- Introduction to Sewing, VisArts Center of Richmond, starting Jan. 9 – SOLD OUT
- Sewing Machines for the Absolute Beginner, VisArts Center of Richmond, Feb. 11
- Sew Your Own Panties, VisArts Center of Richmond, Feb. 4
- Bra Making Workshop, VisArts Center of Richmond, March 3 & 4
Some of the other classes I teach:
- Sewing 101 for Absolute Beginner, one 3-hour class at Studio Two Three
- Sewing 102: Basic Garment Sewing Skills, one 3-hour class at Studio Two Three
- Sewing 103: Garment Specific Sewing Skills, one 3-hour class at Studio Two Three
- Sew a Lined Tote Bag, one 3-hour class at Studio Two Three
Classes I’ve taken:
I love taking sewing classes, even when the content is not new to me. There is always something to learn, whether it be where to get the best waxed marking paper (RichardtheThread.com) or a neater way to close bra underwire casings. Plus, it is a great way to make new friends.
- Introduction to Sewing, Boston Center for Adult Education (BCAE)
- Alterations to Save You Money, BCAE (Feb. 2012)
- Intermediate Sewing: Home Decor, BCAE (Mar. 2012 – Dec. 2015)
- Advanced Sewing: Pick Your Own Project, BCAE (June 2012 – Dec. 2015)
- Fit for Your Body & Style w/ Melissa Watson, Camp Workroom Social (Oct. 2015)
- Introduction to Sewing, Visual Arts Center of Richmond (Mar. – Aug. 2016)
- Sew Your Own Wardrobe, Visual Arts Center of Richmond (Sept. – Oct. 2016)
- Pattern Drafting, Visual Arts Center of Richmond (Sept. – Oct. 2016)
- Bra Making with Amy Chapman of Cloth Habit, Camp Workroom Social (Oct. 2016)
- Introduction to Sewing, Visual Arts Center of Richmond (Jan. – Mar. 2017)
- Bra Making with Madalynne: Underwire Bra Simplicity 8229 (Feb. 2017)
Favorite Reference books:
- Reader’s Digest New Complete Guide to Sewing is my go-to book that includes just about everything you want to know whether you are a beginner or an accomplished seamstress.
- Couture Sewing Techniques by Claire B. Shaeffer will help you take your construction up a notch.
- Fabric for Fashion – The Swatch Book by Clive Hallet and Amanda Johnston provides swatches of many widely used varieties of fabric, including cottons, silks, wools, and linens.