Because not all lingerie in intended for daily wear.
You can thank Madalynne for inspiring this project. The minute I saw her take on the $675 Agent Provocateur set, I knew I needed to make my own version.
This set took me a long time to make as a result of lots of tinkering with straps and fittings coupled with my usual inability to sew for long stretches without constantly stepping away to refresh my tea cup. But it was worth it. I think it is quite possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever made. And it makes me smile every time I look at it; in part because I know how hard I worked to get it just right.
If you are interested in making a version of this set for yourself, here are some notes that may be helpful:
My Simplicity 8229 modifications:
- If you want the scalloped edge of the lace to run around the entire bottom band, then the band elastic is not turned under for finishing. You simply attach the 1/2″ or 3/4″ picot elastic with two rows of zigzag stitch on the inside.
- Adjust the band height at center back to accommodate a 2-row hook and eye (it is drafted for a 3-row).
- I used cut and sew foam as the under-layer for added stability for the straps and overall boost. Since the foam is sewn with abutting edges rather than overlapping with a 1/4″ seam allowance, be sure to trim those edges by 1/4″ before sewing together with a zigzag.
- Since I added the straps by eye as I went, I did not mark the pattern ahead of time for the placement of the innermost strap. But I believe it landed about 3″ down from the top of that seam line at center front.
- The middle strap covers the seam between the inner and outer cup pieces and is tacked at the apex with a few small machine stitches.
- Per Maddie’s recommendation, I shaved just over 1/2″ from the top of each cup where it would normally attach to the shoulder straps (which are not used in this design). This made that outer strap angle properly toward the metal center front ring. I attached that strap along the top edge of the bra starting at the underwire along the underarm.
- All straps are tacked down with a few small machine stitches at the upper edge of lace along the top of the cups.
- Each strap is attached separately at the center top ring, rather than running through the ring and then back to the cup or up over the shoulder. And I did not use rings and sliders on the straps. As a result, the straps have no ease beyond their elasticity so fit is crucial. Take your time.
- The physics of my initial version – an almost exact duplicate of Maddie’s – did not work perfectly. I found that adding the second upper strap at the center front ring gave me the lift I was looking for. Plus I like the look of the extra straps in back.
- The upper straps will peak out from under just about every item of clothing I have. If that bothers you, you will need to plan accordingly and maybe add a Sewaholic Lonsdale dress to your sewing queue.
My Evie La Luve Bella panty modifications:
- Simply add 3/4″ metal rings at center front and back. I hand stitched them.
- Run 1/4″ satin elastic strapping from center front to center back on each side.
- Getting the right strap lengths requires a few try-ons. There is a fine line between sitting perfectly snug on the top of your hip and cutting in so tightly that a bulge is created in this spot where I, at least, want to avoid any bulge.
And maybe just one more photo of those lovely straps:
Patterns: Simplicity 8229 and Evie La Luve’s Bella panty, both modified
Fabrics: Gorgeous black galloon stretch lace and most other supplies are from my favorite, Tailor Made Shop; 1/4″ satin elastic strapping from MarySupplies; 3/4″ metal rings from Porcelynne
Modifications: Five yards of 1/4″ satin elastic strapping and a few 3/4″ metal rings
Photo Locations: Visual Arts Center of Richmond Fibre Studio
Thank you to Madalynne for providing the inspiration and some guidance on the modifications.
Soundtrack: Sigur Ros radio on Pandora